Five Things You Need to Know About AI and ChatGPT
This article was written based on a discussion between Liv (our digital colleague) and OpenAI.
ChatGPT has been dominating the artificial intelligence headlines over the past few months, following its launch in November 2022. Liv has explored five things every CEO and decision-maker should know about ChatGPT and artificial intelligence in general. First of all, what is ChatGPT all about? It’s an advanced language model capable of generating human-like text and engaging in conversations, based on so-called generative artificial intelligence (AI), and created by the company OpenAI.
ChatGPT is also one of the most important developments in artificial intelligence in recent months, but has several limitations:
- Its database has not been updated since September 2021, so it cannot respond to more current topics.
- Some ChatGPT-generated information is false or biased.
- The content generated is quite general and only takes into account the context provided by the user.
Despite these limitations, ChatGPT has come into worldwide use over the past few months. Aside from all the hype, how is this tool really impacting your company?
1. How scared should we be that AI will replace our jobs?
First thing to know about artificial intelligence: every technological revolution has created more jobs than it has destroyed. It is important to understand that AI is designed to complement human capabilities. The impact of ChatGPT and artificial intelligence technologies on the workforce will lead to changes to professional roles, rather than mass unemployment. And thanks to AI-powered automation, collaborators can increasingly focus on higher-value or more strategic tasks. Nowadays, companies and organizations are seeking creativity, critical thinking and human interaction.
For example, some companies have developed artificial intelligence systems that can analyze data and quickly come up with highly accurate sales forecasts. Traditionally, that same task took days, if not weeks. But no salespeople have lost their jobs. Instead, they now have more time to focus on the higher value-added aspects of their jobs, such as customer relationships and the sales process itself.
Similarly, some AI services can generate basic programming code. But that’s not putting programmers out of work. Instead, they can write code more efficiently while automating repetitive tasks such as testing. This will allow them to concentrate on more strategic matters, such as system architecture, domain modelling and the user experience.
2. What role will ChatGPT play at the company level?
Second thing to know: ChatGPT (and artificial intelligence) can play various roles within a company, from improving customer support to providing instant and accurate answers to questions. The customer experience will be enhanced; engaging and personalized content will be created for marketing, research and data analysis purposes; and decision-making support will be provided. Here are some other examples of what AI will be used for:
- Automating interactions with customers, providing virtual assistance and offering personalized recommendations.
- Generating content for marketing campaigns, social media and internal communications.
- Analyzing data and managing/looking for knowledge to optimize information searches.
- Serving as a virtual assistant to answer employees’ questions, provide HR information or facilitate internal communications, thus enabling HR staff to focus on more complex tasks.
- Promoting and reinforcing workplace security protocols (sending out reminders, answering security-related questions or providing employees with guidance on emergency procedures), thus contributing to a safer work environment.
It should be noted that although ChatGPT can provide interesting forms of support, it should not be used to replace human expertise, particularly in critical or high-risk situations. Collaborators must be trained how to effectively use and interpret ChatGPT’s responses. They must also understand its limitations and know when additional human intervention or supervision is required.
3. What is ChatGPT’s security risk level for my staff?
Third thing to know: as with any IT system or artificial intelligence technology, using ChatGPT poses certain cybersecurity risks. Here is a (non-exhaustive) list:
- Data confidentiality: There is the risk that the information shared in users’ questions might be compromised or disclosed in an unauthorized manner, particularly if appropriate security measures are not put in place to protect it.
- Vulnerabilities and hacking: As with any software, ChatGPT may present certain vulnerabilities that could be exploited by malicious actors. Robust security measures should be implemented to reduce the risks of hacking or unauthorized access to ChatGPT and related systems.
- Biased or incorrect responses: ChatGPT generates content based on the training data it receives, meaning that any such content may contain biased or incorrect information. The responses generated by ChatGPT must be verified to ensure that they are accurate, objective and consistent with company policy.
- Social engineering and manipulation: Malicious actors could use ChatGPT to generate misleading content or engage in phishing attempts or psychological manipulation. User awareness and education are essential to prevent any such manipulation.
- Denial-of-service attacks: If ChatGPT is used intensively, it could be subjected to denial-of-service attacks designed to make it unavailable or compromise its performance.
To mitigate these risks, appropriate security measures should be put in place. Organizations must ensure that data shared during conversations is protected and complies with applicable privacy regulations. Implementing robust security measures, such as encryption, access controls and regular vulnerability testing, will help to protect sensitive information.
When appropriate measures are taken, risks can be minimized and ChatGPT can be used more securely. However, it is important to note that no system is 100% risk-free. Continuous monitoring is required to detect and mitigate threats.
4. How can employees be encouraged to rely on AI to boost productivity (and not to look for shortcuts)?
Fourth thing to know: in order to encourage productive (and secure) artificial intelligenceuse, companies should offer comprehensive training programs to inform employees about the capabilities—and limitations—of AI technology. Emphasize the importance of using AI as a tool to enhance productivity, streamline processes and increase human capacities, instead of using it as a shortcut. As artificial intelligence is adopted, be sure to foster a culture that values critical thinking, creativity and problem solving.
More specifically, take the time to raise your collaborators’ awareness of security issues and best practices for optimizing ChatGPT use (formulating questions, contextualization, gradual experimentation, checking responses, etc.), based on clear guidelines.
Offer practical training and encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing. By fostering an environment in which collaborators can discuss their experiences and share pointers and best practices, you will be strengthening your teams during this inevitable digital transformation. Lastly, ensure that your employees have adequate technical support. Promote a business culture based on information security and individual accountability.
5. What is the next step for ChatGPT, AI and yourself?
Last but not least, ChatGPT only provides a fleeting glimpse into generative artificial intelligence’s potential. Current research is seeking to reinforce ChatGPT’s capabilities, to improve its contextual understanding and to overcome its limitations. To get the most out of both ChatGPT and AI, be sure to:
- Stay informed about the latest trends and advances in the field of AI.
- Identify the areas of your organization where ChatGPT and AI could bring value added and stimulate innovation.
- Invest in training and professional development programs for your teams with a view to facilitating the adoption of AI.
- Foster a culture that adopts AI as a tool for productivity and growth.
- Regularly evaluate and re-evaluate the impact of implementing AI in order to ensure ethical and responsible use.
ChatGPT and the latest artificial intelligence trends offer companies immense potential. AI is a powerful tool that can enhance your workforce, improve the client experience and stimulate innovation. Understanding ChatGPT’s scope, advantages and limitations will enable you to make enlightened decisions and lead your organization into the future of AI-powered transformation. By adopting artificial intelligence technology responsibly, organizations can maintain and develop their competitive edge, seize new opportunities and stay ahead in a fast-changing digital landscape.